Welcome to the Envi Sci 50th Anniversary site!
Envi Sci was created in 1967 - so this is our 50th anniversary year, and the Program celebrated in August.
The celebration included three events. Here are the details:
Friday, August 4th: Alum hike to Mt. Monadnock!
We took a day hike at Mt. Monadnock with former students, leaders, and family members. [click on photo to see more from the hike]
Saturday, August 5th - the main event: the reunion party was at Margarita's Restaurant in Waltham and included a full-moon canoe trip on the Charles River just outside of Margarita's, with a guide from Charles River Canoe and Kayak. [click on photo to see more from the party]
Sunday August 6th: We had an informal brunch for attendees to meet and talk with other former leaders and students, hosted in a Newton home (check out the 50th anniversary T-shirts, click on photo for more on brunch).
But even if you missed the celebrations, you can still get the 50th anniversary edition of the Envi Sci T-shirt.
Please contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Let us hear from you! When were you with the Program? Do you have stories? How did it affect your life?
If you would like to contact us by mail, you can send your information (name, address, email address, phone number(s), when were you in the program?) and if you can, a donation, to:
David Backer, Executive Director
P.O. Box 600292
Newton, MA 02460
Make check out to "Environmental Science Program of Newton".
Please consider donating to the Envi Sci Scholarship/Sustainability Fund using the online registration page:
-- David and the 50th Anniversary Committee
And, Yes, the Program always appreciates any financial support it receives! It still is self-funded every year through student tuition and donations from organizations and individuals.
We will be very grateful if you can help us add to what we did at the 50th Anniversary celebration. We have already received several generous donations to the 50th celebration, my apologies if I have not yet included your name in this list!
- Stuart Freudberg, a student, leader, and supporter of the Program then and now
- Garen Corbett, a student, leader, and the person who first urged me to plan the 50th anniversary celebration!
- Dr. David Keyes, a student and the Student Director in 1974 and 1975
- Beth Holmberg, a student, leader, and previous supporter of the Program
- Jenny (Casavant) Maitino, a student, Student Director, and Director
- Eric Marshall, a student, in the Program
- Mark Brotman, a student and a leader in the late 1970's / early 1980's
- Howard Weiss, a student, leader, and the senior staff person in the early 1970's and 1980
- Clement Su, a student and leader in the 2000's
- Ernie Ruber, one of the original founders!
You can donate online through our registration page.
(note: eChecks are free, but for credit card donations we are required to add 2.95% of the total for the transaction)
Please send your mailed donations to:
The Environmental Science Program
c/o David Backer, Executive Director
Newton, MA 02460
We'll have the City send you a letter of thanks (mentioning tax deductibility) and I would like to list your name on the Supporters page (if that's okay with you).
Contact us if you have any questions about this. We hope you will be in touch with us in 2017 and 2018!
contact@NewtonEnviSci.org or 617-447-9317 (9:00 am - 5:00 pm EST).